Family Room Volunteer
The Ronald McDonald Family Room® is located in St. Mary’s Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin. It is among the largest Ronald McDonald Family Rooms in the United States.
The Family Room is designed to be an oasis, a place where families whose children are inpatients at St. Mary’s Hospital can get away for a moment to gather their thoughts, rest and relax, have something to eat and drink and yet be just moments away from their child’s bedside. Family Room volunteers help to extend the mission of the Ronald McDonald House Madison by providing warmth and comfort to families in a time of need.
The commitment of being a volunteer in the Ronald McDonald Family Room® is an important one. Volunteers provide reception for families and offer hospitality for families using the Family Room at St. Mary’s Hospital. Due to the high importance and responsibility of this volunteer position, an application for service, as well as extensive training is required. Qualifications, job descriptions, and available shifts are listed below:
The following shifts are available 7 days a week, 365 days a year:
- 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Answer phones, welcome and register families
- Enforce sleep room regulations
- ENFORCE ALL RULES
- Open and close the Family Room (first and third shifts)
- Keep all common use areas straightened and stocked
- Provide a warm and friendly atmosphere for families
- Maintain strict confidentiality
- Must be willing to give a one year commitment to this position
- Must be at least 18 years of age and out of high school
An ideal volunteer will be able to work independently in rule enforcement, while still maintaining a comforting presence for families in crisis. Thorough training will be provided.
- Annual Flu Shot
- TB Skin test – provided by St. Mary’s Hospital
- Varicella Titer – to assess immunity to Chicken Pox.
Thank you so much for your interest in becoming a Ronald McDonald House Family Room Volunteer. It is a wonderful and fulfilling experience.