Volunteer Spotlight: Bill and Maria
February 21st, 2020
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Madison volunteers are essential to delivering our mission of creating and supporting programs that enhance the health and well-being of children and their families. Without volunteers, like Bill and Maria, we would not be able to do what we do. We can’t thank this amazing duo enough for the love and dedication they show us and the families we serve.
- How long have you been volunteering at RMHC-Madison?
Six years. Boy has that gone fast!
- How did you initially get involved with us?
Fellow volunteer, Kim Wheeler Yates, connected us. Thanks, Kim!
- What is your favorite thing about volunteering here?
Sharing a smile, saying hello or offering some comfort to families that are going through a challenging experience.
- Do you have a favorite memory with RMHC?
We have many. One, in particular, was meeting Stephanie, at the volunteer luncheon last year. We learned that Stephanie comes in the opposite Saturday of our schedule, so we surprised her by showing up to help during one of her shifts. We have met so many wonderful parents and family members that share how much they appreciate all that the House offers and for the work we do. This is why we do it.
- What types of things have you done while volunteering for RMHC-Madison?
Clean, clean and more cleaning! I love cleaning (Maria). We also love to organize stuff. I know, it’s a sickness!
- Tell us something about you we don’t know.
I enjoy singing (Maria) and Bill commutes to work every day (yes, even in the winter) on his bike.
- What would you say to someone who is considering becoming a volunteer?
We say go for it! You will get out of it what you put into it.